On June 1, 1966, the 2d Battalion, 3d Infantry Regiment was activated at Fort Benning, GA. The 2nd Battalion was assigned to the 199th Infantry Brigade, eventually serving in the area around Saigon (now Ho Chi Minh City). The 2d Battalion was awarded a Valorous Unit Award and earned 11 campaign streamers for its service in Vietnam. One of the Regiment’s four Medal of Honor recipients was Corporal Michael F. Folland, Company D, 2d Battalion, was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions on July 3, 1969. The 2d Battalion was inactivated on October 15, 1970, at Fort Benning.
Previously, the 2d Battalion was active from 1957-1963 in South Korea as an element of the 7th Infantry Division. The 2d Battalion was activated again in March 2001 at Fort Lewis, WA, which served as a home base between its four deployments to Iraq (3) and Afghanistan (1) since 2003.
Fifty Years Ago
On July 1, 1966, the 4th Battalion, 3rd Infantry Regiment was activated at Schofield Barracks, Hawaii. From Schofield Barracks, the battalion deployed to Vietnam. The 4th Battalion was initially attached to the 11th Infantry Brigade, 23rd Infantry Division (Americal). The 4th Battalion later moved to the 198th Infantry Brigade operating in the I Corps area, near the northern border of South Vietnam. In its five-year deployment, the 4th Battalion earned 11 battle streamers, along with a Presidential Unit Citation awarded to Recon Platoon, Company E. The 4th Battalion inactivated November 30, 1971, at Fort Lewis, WA.
The 4th Battalion re-activated as part of the Military District of Washington in December 2008, at Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall, VA.
On June 25, 1943, the 289th Military Police Company was first activated at Fort Custer, Michigan. When the 289th joined the Old Guard in 1994, it had decades of history associated with it. The 289th deployed in support of World War II, and later during the Korean War, earning battle streamers for both.
During the Korean War, the 289th deployed from Fort Sam Houston to Inchon, South Korea on Thanksgiving Day, 1950. From Inchon, they moved south of Pyongyang, North Korea. By January 1951 the unit moved to Seoul, South Korea. In Seoul, the 289th was tasked with assisting the Eighth Army during its withdrawal from Seoul, guarding the Han River pontoon bridge. The 289th guarded the crossing until January 4, 1951, when it was destroyed to keep the Chinese Communist Forces from advancing.
Later the 289th supported missions ranging from securing supply routes against guerrillas hostile to United Nations forces, providing security at POW camps, serving as Provost Marshal in several South Korean cities and serving as escort to the Neutral Nations Inspection Team after the armistice was signed.The 289th MP Company would be inactivated in South Korea on June 3, 1955. One year later, the 289th would be activated again in Japan for a two year period, remaining inactive until it joined the Old Guard in 1994.
CAMPAIGN PARTICIPATION CREDIT
World War II
European-African-Middle Eastern Theater, Streamer without inscription
First UN Counteroffensive
CCF Spring Offensive
UN Summer-Fall Offensive
Second Korean Winter
Korea, Summer-Fall 1952
Third Korean Winter
Korea, Summer 1953
On April 6, 1948, the 3d Infantry Regiment was re-activated on the Capitol Plaza in Washington, DC. What came to be known as the “Cold War” created a need for greater protection of the capital, national leaders, and public property. It was decided that The Old Guard, as the oldest active Infantry regiment, would be the ideal choice.
The flag used in the ceremony, which flew over the US Capitol at the time of Pearl Harbor, was later raised over the three defeated Axis capitals of Rome, Berlin, and Tokyo and then returned to the United States for use in appropriate ceremonies.
The mission to protect the capital had been performed by Military Policemen of the 703d and the 712th MP Battalions since the end of the World War II. The men of the 703rd were transferred to the 1st Battalion, 3d Infantry, and those in the 712th became the 2d Battalion, 3d Infantry, with a large number of recruit trainees from Fort Dix, New Jersey added to both battalions. The 1st Battalion was garrisoned at Fort Myer, VA and the 2d Battalion was garrisoned at newly-renamed Fort Lesley J. McNair, DC.
The Military District of Washington’s ceremonial mission had been performed since 1943 by the MDW Ceremonial Detachment. The Ceremonial Detachment first became Ceremonial Company, 1st Battalion, 3d Infantry Regiment. About a year later, Ceremonial Company became Company A of The Old Guard.