March 11, 1776
“The General is desirous of selecting a particular number of men as a guard for himself and his baggage…”
With this order, General George Washington, Commander of the Continental Army, established his Commander-in-Chief’s Guard. To honor this unit, the 3d U.S. Infantry Regiment (The Old Guard) created a replica unit from Company A, 1st Battalion (Reinf) in 1973. Trained, uniformed and equipped like the 18th-Century unit, the present day Commander-in-Chief’s Guard made its first public appearance at the 1973 Army-Navy football game on December 1 at JFK Stadium in Philadelphia, PA. Unfortunately, Army lost that game by a score of 51 to 0.
The brochure featured here was printed in preparation for the 1976 Bicentennial celebration events. Brochures were also created for the Old Guard Museum, Caisson Platoon, Tomb of the Unknowns, Fife and Drums Corps, and the Regiment.
View the CINC Guard Bicentennial leaflet here: