March 11, 1776
“The General is desirous of selecting a particular number of men as a guard for himself and his baggage…”
With this order, General George Washington, Commander of the Continental Army, established his Commander-in-Chief’s Guard. To honor this unit, the 3rd U.S. Infantry Regiment (The Old Guard) created a replica unit from Company A, 1st Battalion (Reinf) in 1973. Trained, uniformed and equipped like the 18th-Century unit, the present day Commander-in-Chief’s Guard made its first appearance at the 1973 Army-Navy football game on December 1st at JFK Stadium in Philadelphia, PA. Unfortunately, Army lost that game by a score of 51 to 0.
View the CINC Guard Bicentennial leaflet here: