On November 20, 1946, the 3rd Infantry Regiment inactivated at Berlin, Germany. The Regiment and its antecedents had been active since 1784, marking 162 years of continuous service. Caught up in the post-World War II draw down, the Regiment was part of the dwindling German occupation forces. The Old Guard arrived in Berlin the previous April to relieve units under the 78th Infantry Division. At the time of inactivation, the Old Guard was serving under the 23rd Corps. The Old Guard would re-activate 16 months later on the steps of the U.S. Capitol, beginning its service as the Army’s Official Ceremonial Unit and Escort to the President.